Today was our final Duke of Uke crit where we showed our further improved designs to the Duke of Uke shop owners who had come to visit us at London Met to see what we had come up with in the space of the past three weeks.
It was interesting to see just how far everyone had come. I feel everyone had done a truly amazing job with their designs, it must have been pretty difficult for the shop owners to only chose 5 out of the 15 shown.
After our final presentations we took a 20 minute break to allow Cecilie & the shop owners to talk amongst themselves to decide on the chosen 5 people who would be then be the ones to continue working with the live brief. Here are my final designs, Five posters and postcard set.
Our live brief really has pushed us to see just what it would be like to work in the design industry. Helping us to make promotional materials for a shop located in the local area, giving us the idea of how it would be to work for a client. It has also helped to boost my confidence with presentations, this being my 6th one of this year.
After visiting The Duke of Uke and taking a look at their website, current branding and flyer designs has helped me to come up with some concepts for my posters. I wanted to focus more on close ups and the simple shapes that were used to create these beautiful Ukulele’s. (circles, straight and curved lines)
I chose to use only 3-5 colours keeping each image simple, using yellow, turquoise, white, brown and black. I chose yellow and turquoise because these are the two colours I think of when I hear the tranquil sounds of the Ukulele. The sound of happiness.
My first idea was to use the middle of the Ukulele as a central image, having the strings horizontal across the centre of the circle showing the angle which the instrument is played. The triangle in the middle represents the pick, which some musicians use to play each cord.
My second idea was pretty similar to my first, after looking at some song books at The Duke of Uke I discovered Ukulele cords and exactly how they are read. I removed the pick and replaced the triangle with a series of dots representing the Ukulele cords.
My third idea was to add some simple curved lines around the centre circle expressing the shape of the Ukulele. Sticking with yellow and turquoise which I feel compliment each other quite well.
My forth idea was to create the number 10 out of a Ukulele by splitting it in half. Using the arm as a 1 and the body as the 0. Changing the cords to yellow and placing them next to the font which I added lines to creating the look of a song sheet.
My Fifth idea was looking at the different types of Ukulele’s. I took 4 shapes and produced my own illustrations of each. I designed only four to link it to my research, four Ukuele’s, four strings. Plus I didn’t want to over do my design as the plan was to keep it minimal and simple.
I’ve asked a few of my family members and friends which ones they prefer but don’t be shy. The more comments the merrier. I am pretty happy with my design pieces, however if I do have the time to produce more I will as I enjoyed creating these.
For CIP we have been set a module to create either posters or window displays for a independent unique store called The Duke of Uke. A small Ukulele shop situated in the heart of the East End, Brick Lane, Shoreditch.
As I had missed the CIP lesson when the rest of my class visited the shop, I took a trip down to Brick Lane with my cousin. She made this trip eventful, asking many questions I wouldn’t think to ask and introducing her love of music to the shop owner.
Visiting the store has helped me to get an idea of their decor, the way they currently advertise the business, what would well and what doesn’t and has helped me to put some ideas together.